The largest interactive museum of Europe on the topic of emigration was opened on August 8th 2005. The German house of emigrants is located in Bremerhaven at a historic location - directly by the New Harbor, which was opened in 1852 and from which up until 1890 almost 1.2 million people left for the “New World.” The reinforced concrete frame structure was built on a deep foundation of 150 piles. The oval plan arrangement of the ground floor with a convex window facade transitions into a cube with a curtain-type wood lamellas façade of the upper floors. The structure is penetrated at 3 points by 24 m high sail-like, bent diaphragm walls 24 cm thick.
BIS-Bremerhavener Gesellschaft für Investitionsförderung und Stadtentwickl. mbH
- Our Scope of Work
conceptual design, construction design